Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the strategic grant allocation process for 2020-2023
The Cabinet had before it a *report of the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration requesting Members to agree the approach to community grant funding when the current 3 year agreements come to an end in 2020.
The Cabinet Member for Community Well-Being outlined the contents of the report stating that given the financial constraints on Council spending at the current time, it seemed appropriate to have a complete review of strategic grant funding, but that there was insufficient time this year. There were currently 7 recipients of strategic grants:
· Citizens Advice
· Churches Housing Action Team
· Age UK
· Mid Devon Mobility
· The Museum and Tourist Information Service
· The Grand Western Canal
The report suggested that all these grants be brought together into a single strategic grants pot under the Community Well-Being PDG, prior to this all recipients would be offered a one year extension to their current grant.
Consideration was given to the importance of a 3 year settlement for the recipients so that financial planning could take place.
1. Recipients of all grant agreements in place as part of the council’s strategic grants programme are offered a single year extension (to end 31st March 2021) to ensure they have continuity of funding for their services
2. Recipients of the two grants not currently included within the council’s strategic grants programme (Grand Western Canal and Tiverton Museum and Tourist Information Service) are also offered a single-year extension (to end 31st March 2021) to ensure they have continuity of funding for their services .
3. In future years all grants are considered as part of one budget and decision-making process, and that these sit within the Community Well-Being portfolio.
4. Officers are instructed to commence work early in the financial year 2020/21 to initiate a full evaluation and review of the grants programme; to carry out the same process as was undertaken previously to establish the 3-year programme; and to bring forward recommendations on a new 3-year programme with reference to the Community PDG as appropriate.
(Proposed by Cllr D J Knowles and seconded by Cllr G Barnell)
i) Cllrs D J Knowles and B A Moore declared personal interests due to their involvement with INVOLVE;
ii) *Report previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.
Report author: Adrian Welsh
Publication date: 23/12/2019
Date of decision: 19/12/2019
Decided at meeting: 19/12/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 01/01/2020