Decision Maker: Cabinet, Scrutiny Committee
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Following the meeting on 19th December 2019, the following *decision had been called in by members of the Scrutiny Committee:
1. The specific scheme that came forward in advance of the forthcoming Tiverton Town Centre Masterplan be postponed, and allows the second stage of the process to be properly completed before seeking to prioritise strategic investment opportunities.
2. The Cabinet Members for Planning & Economic Regeneration and Housing and Property Services:
a) Consider how a Tiverton Town Centre Regeneration Fund might be established to facilitate match-funding opportunities and encourage external investment into the town, with proposals to be brought back to the Cabinet.
b) Work with Tiverton Town Council, market traders, the Town Centre Partnership and other businesses in the town to identify a programme of works that will make a significant improvement to the Town Centre in the short term.
Following consideration of the item at its meeting on 6 January 2020 the Scrutiny Committee had recommended that the decision to defer the Tiverton Town Centre Regeneration Project – Tender Outcome be reconsidered.
The Leader addressed the meeting raising the issue of the lack of consultation with Tiverton Town Council over the proposed scheme and the view that a better scheme could come forward and that it was not value for money to finance a scheme that was not supported by the town council. He highlighted the various schemes that had come forward over recent years and the cost of those projects
Discussion took place regarding:
· The reasons for the call in and that Article 15 (Principles of Decision making) had not been breached
· The views of the lead member for the call-in with regard to a difference of opinion and that there were no clear plans if the project was postponed nor the amount of funding that would be required if a further project was agreed
· The cost of the project to date
· The meetings that had taken place with Tiverton Town Council over the last few months and whether the ideas being put forward were realistic and could be funded and that a bigger scheme would require the loss of the bank which would impact on the residents of the town
· The concerns of local traders
RESOLVED that having reconsidered the decision to postpone the specific scheme, the original decision be confirmed. The Cabinet wishes to expedite a substitute scheme to be implemented as quickly as possible with a view to improving the Tiverton Town Centre Regeneration Project.
(Proposed by the Chairman)
i) Cllr R L Stanley declared a personal interest as he had been involved in the initial scheme;
ii) Cllr C J Eginton declared a personal interest as he had a business in the town;
iii) * Decision previously circulated copy attached to minutes.
Publication date: 21/01/2020
Date of decision: 16/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/01/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 25/01/2020