Decision Maker: Community Policy Development Group, Cabinet
Decision status: Implemented
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To receive the 4 yearly review of the Air Quality Action Plan.
Following a report of the Corporate Manager for Public Health, Regulation and Housing, the Community Policy Development Group had made the following recommendations:
1. That the updated Air Quality Actions Plan attached in Annex 1 be adopted;
2. That the details and timelines for the adoption of the updated Air Quality Supplementary Planning Document via the Planning Policy Development Group as set out in section 5.3 of the report be NOTED
The Cabinet Member for Community Well-Being outlined the contents of the report stating that the action plan provides actions that the Council would deliver between 2021-25 to reduce concentrations of air pollutants and exposure to air pollution, thereby positively impacting on the health and quality of life of residents and visitors to Mid Devon. He outlined the legal requirements to produce actions plans where an authority had designated one or more Air Quality Management Areas. He requested that the Cabinet consider an amendment to annex 1 to the report, table 10 of the action plan, measure 15 to read
Under measure – Kings Mill Industrial site traffic management Cullompton Junction 28 and Cullompton town centre
Under Key Performance Indicator – Improved traffic flows to/from industrial site through Junction 28 and across Cullompton town centre.
Progress to date - Local Plan submission proposes a number of solutions alongside traffic/parking enforcement.
Comments – The new Local Plan proposed upgrades to the existing road network to support growth of industrial estate and reduce congestion. As the site will increase in size, thus increasing volumes trying to leave/enter the M5, a range of initiatives are proposed to deal with the problem. This will work in parallel with anti-idling and parking enforcement across the town centre.
Consideration was given to:
· Examples of queues from Culm Lea to J28 and the need to incorporate the town centre within measure 15
· When the Planning Policy Advisory Group would consider the supplementary planning guidance
· Issues of dust emission
· Reporting to Defra and the need to evidence any issues
· The need for enforcement in Cullompton town centre and now that the measure was within the action plan then Devon County Council would have to consider this.
· The level of resources available to improve the air quality in Mid Devon and that S106 contributions could be used.
RESOLVED that the recommendation of the Policy Development group be approved, subject to the amendments to Measure number 15 as outlined above.
(Proposed by Cllr D J Knowles and seconded by Cllr Mrs N Woollatt)
Reason for the decision: The adoption and implementation of an Air Quality Action Plan (where an authority has designated one or more Air Quality Management Areas) is a statutory requirement.
Note: *Report previously circulated and attached to the minutes
Report author: Simon Newcombe
Publication date: 03/12/2021
Date of decision: 30/11/2021
Decided at meeting: 30/11/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/12/2021