Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the options for the town centre
The Cabinet had before it a *report of the Corporate Manager for Property, Leisure and Climate Change providing Members with the options on completing essential maintenance on the Tiverton Town Centre CCTV system.
The Cabinet Member for Community Wellbeing outlined the contents of the report stating that the reason for the report was to consider funding and options to upgrade the CCTV system in Tiverton. All the legal implications had been considered. The PSS CCTV was a discretionary service to which the Council had a limited budget to maintain the system. The monitoring of the CCTV system was on a voluntary basis and that the Council paid the volunteer for 7 hours per week. There was a need to upgrade the system to protect against cyber security issues.
Consideration was given to:
· The value of the CCTV system and how it was appreciated by local residents
· The grants from the OPCC and Tiverton Town Centre Partnership would be well received
· Crediton and Cullompton had been offered the opportunity to apply for funding from the OPCC – Cullompton Town Council had not responded to the approach
· The need to approach Tiverton Town Council for a further financial contribution and that this be included in the resolution.
1) Delegated authority be given to the Cabinet Member for Community and Wellbeing and the Deputy Chief Executive (151), in consultation with Property Services to seek the remainder of external funding required for the delivery of Option 2 as a minimum, but to aim to achieve Option 3 and complete the works within the current calendar year.
2) The grant of £25k from the OPCC be accepted, subject to the terms and conditions on Annex C.
3) The fund of £3,161 from the OPCC be accepted, subject to the terms and conditions on Annex D and as detailed in section 11.
4) £5k from the Tiverton Town Centre Partnership be accepted, as detailed on paragraph 9.1.
5) The Council approach Tiverton Town Council for a further financial contribution and hold discussions with regard to the future ownership of the system.
(Proposed by Cllr D J Knowles and seconded by Cllr C R Slade)
Reason for decision – There is a need to consider the offer of funding for this project.
i) Cllr C R Slade decalred a personal interest as a member of Tiverton Town Council and as the Devon County Council representative on the Town Centre Partnership;
ii) Cllr D J Knowles delcared a personal interest as a member of Tiverton Town Council;
iii) Cllr Mrs C P Daw declared a personal interest as a member of Tiverton Town Council and as a member of the Town Centre Partnership;
iv) *Report previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.
Report author: Andrew Busby
Publication date: 09/07/2021
Date of decision: 06/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 06/07/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 14/07/2021