Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Chairman read a set of questions from Mr Elstone referring to Item 9 on the agenda (Revenue and Capital Outturn 2021/22):
1. Line item No. CA 720 - HIF Schemes of the MDDC 2021/2022 Capital Outturn accounts states the following;
"Per Cabinet report 03/08/21 Tendering process required for this project and revised report to be brought back to Cabinet regarding delivery contract and associated funding at this stage forecast additional cost circa £1.9 million".
Has the Phase 2 junction tender process been completed by Devon County Council and with MDDC’s full engagement?
2. If not, what is the target date for the tender process completion and MDDC Cabinets acceptance?
3. In an email dated the 4th December 2020 from the former MDDC Head of Planning and Regeneration to the MDDC Cabinet Member for Planning and MDDC Council Leader the Head of Planning states the following.
DCC has produced two versions of a revised project programme.
Programme 1 starts construction a year later than originally intended [September 2022] avoids summer construction embargo on the A361 and completes construction July 2023.
Programme 2 starts construction January 2022 but will need pulling off site for the summer period and remobilisation autumn 2022 before construction completion February 2022. This 2nd programme already cannot be met as tender documents would require issue mid - December .
Email also states: "Both alternative programmes take construction beyond the funding availability period of the end of December 2022"
Will the Phase 2 junction be constructed and fully operational before of the Housing Infrastructure Fund rebate of £8.2 million deadline date expires?
4. Do MDDC have all the funding arrangements fully in place including in reserve to enable the complete construction of the Tiverton EUE Phase 2 junction, including the bridge over link?
5. What in fact is the current Housing Infrastructure Fund rebate deadline date? Has formal agreement been received for any extension?
6. The original cost of the EUE Phase 2 Junction was estimated it is believed at £10.5 million. Given the massive increase in cost for the Cullompton Relief Road has the cost estimate for the EUE Phase 2 junction increased? If so what is the current cost estimate?
7. What is the revised MDDC target date for having both phases of the Tiverton EUE junctions fully available for public use ?
8. It is believed that the most recent plan was to have the first phase of the Tiverton EUE junction fully available for public use in the autumn of 2022. Is this still the case?
The Director of Place provided the following responses:
With regard to question 1 - The tendering exercise has been undertaken by DCC as MDDC’s delivery partner for the project. MDDC has been engaged throughout the tendering exercise.
Question 2 - A report is to be brought before Cabinet in July. This report will provide an update in relation to the tender exercise and seek decisions regarding progression of the scheme. The report will address the other questions (3,4, 6 & 7) raised.
Question 5 - The Government’s Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF) programme runs until March 2024. The Government has not announced any extensions to timetable for the HIF programme.
Question 8 - The current expectation is that still that the link road will open for use in Autumn 2022.
Publication date: 01/07/2022
Date of decision: 28/06/2022
Decided at meeting: 28/06/2022 - Cabinet