Decision Maker: Economy Policy Development Group, Cabinet, Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Report updating Members on the current impact tourism has on Mid Devon’s local economy and how we can develop the sector over the next 5 years.
Arising from a report of the Chief Executive and Director of Growth, the Economy Policy Development Group had recommended that the Destination Management Strategy be recommended to Council for approval.
The Economic Development Team Leader outlined the contents of the report stating that the Destination Management Plan for Mid Devon was a strategic document for promoting tourism within the district and provided a framework for joint activity with key stakeholders and individual tourism businesses. The document had been subject to consultation and feedback from that consultation process had been incorporated into the document and that it also reflected the modifications to the Local Plan Review such as the proposed allocation at Junction 27 for a major tourism and leisure development. The Strategy would in time be accompanied by an action plan following work on the Economic Strategy which was being progressed by the Economy Policy Development Group
Consideration was given to:
· The lack of emphasis within the strategy on country sports and the amount of business this brought to the area
· The effectiveness of the strategy and how it would be measured
· The need for the action plan and metrics by which the effectiveness of the strategy would be judged to be placed before a future meeting of the Cabinet
· The timescale for the production of the action plan
· The need to include mention of the Roman Catholic Boniface Church, Crediton
· The need for more tourist accommodation in Crediton
Subject to the inclusion of additional material with regard to country sports and mention of the shrine at the Roman Catholic Boniface Church it was:
(Proposed by the Chairman)
Note: *Report previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.
Report author: John Bodley-Scott
Publication date: 09/04/2018
Date of decision: 05/04/2018
Decided at meeting: 05/04/2018 - Cabinet