Decision Maker: Cabinet, Council
Decision status: Implemented
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider the Schedule of Meetings for
The Leader presented the report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 19 December 2019
1. Governance Review (Minute 99)
The Leader MOVED seconded by Councillor G Barnell:
THAT the recommendations of the Cabinet as set out in Minute 99 be ADOPTED.
Consideration was given to:
· The number of members on the working group
· The timescales for the review
· The amount of work and the time it would take to amend governance arrangements which would also require the constitution to be re-written and that there was a need to get on with the business of the council
· The pressing need to address other important issues such as climate change
· The cabinet system versus the committee system and which was the more democratic form of governance
· Agreeing to a review would diminish the possibility of a referendum via a petition
· The potential for alternative and modern governance
· Whether the policy development groups provided inclusive decision-making and the different ways in which members could be heard
· How the democratic process evolved and the positive benefits a review could bring
· The informal nature of a working group meeting in private and the involvement of local stakeholders
Councillor F W Letch MOVED in accordance with Procedure Rule 19.4
‘THAT the vote in respect of this MOTION shall be by Roll Call’
A roll call of Members present at the meeting was then taken:
Those voting FOR the MOTION: Councillors: Mrs E M Andrews, G Barnell, W Burke, J Cairney, S J Clist, L J Cruwys, R M Deed, J M Downes, Mrs S Griggs, Mrs I Hill, B Holdman, D J Knowles, F W Letch, E G Luxton, L D Taylor, Ms E Wainwright, B G J Warren, A White, A Wilce, Mrs N Woollatt and J Wright
Those voting AGAINST the MOTION: Councillors E J Berry, R J Chesterton, Mrs C A Collis, Mrs F J Colthorpe, D R Coren, N V Davey, Mrs C P Daw, R B Evans, T G Hughes, B A Moore, S J Penny, D F Pugsley, R F Radford, C R Slade, Mrs M E Squires and R L Stanley.
The MOTION was declared to have been CARRIED.
Note: Councillors A Wilce and Mrs N Woollatt declared personal interests as supporters of The Campaign for Democracy.
2. Schedule of Meetings (Minute 107)
The Leader MOVED seconded by Councillor B A Moore:
THAT the recommendations of the Cabinet as set out in Minute 107 be ADOPTED.
Upon a vote being taking, the MOTION was declared to have been CARRIED.
Publication date: 13/01/2020
Date of decision: 08/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 08/01/2020 - Council