To receive and consider the reports, minutes and recommendations of the recent meetings as follows:
- 19 December 2019
2) Scrutiny Committee
- 2 December2019
- 6 January 2020 - (to follow)
(3) Audit Committee
- 10 December 2019
(4) Environment Policy Development Group
- 26 November 2019
(5) Homes Policy Development Group
- 3 December 2019
(6) Economy Policy Development Group
- 28 November 2019
(7) Community Policy Development Group
- 10 December 2019
(8) Planning Committee
- 20 November 2019
- 17 December 2019
The Leader presented the report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 19 December 2019
1. Governance Review (Minute 99)
The Leader MOVED seconded by Councillor G Barnell:
THAT the recommendations of the Cabinet as set out in Minute 99 be ADOPTED.
Consideration was given to:
· The number of members on the working group
· The timescales for the review
· The amount of work and the time it would take to amend governance arrangements which would also require the constitution to be re-written and that there was a need to get on with the business of the council
· The pressing need to address other important issues such as climate change
· The cabinet system versus the committee system and which was the more democratic form of governance
· Agreeing to a review would diminish the possibility of a referendum via a petition
· The potential for alternative and modern governance
· Whether the policy development groups provided inclusive decision-making and the different ways in which members could be heard
· How the democratic process evolved and the positive benefits a review could bring
· The informal nature of a working group meeting in private and the involvement of local stakeholders
Councillor F W Letch MOVED in accordance with Procedure Rule 19.4
‘THAT the vote in respect of this MOTION shall be by Roll Call’
A roll call of Members present at the meeting was then taken:
Those voting FOR the MOTION: Councillors: Mrs E M Andrews, G Barnell, W Burke, J Cairney, S J Clist, L J Cruwys, R M Deed, J M Downes, Mrs S Griggs, Mrs I Hill, B Holdman, D J Knowles, F W Letch, E G Luxton, L D Taylor, Ms E Wainwright, B G J Warren, A White, A Wilce, Mrs N Woollatt and J Wright
Those voting AGAINST the MOTION: Councillors E J Berry, R J Chesterton, Mrs C A Collis, Mrs F J Colthorpe, D R Coren, N V Davey, Mrs C P Daw, R B Evans, T G Hughes, B A Moore, S J Penny, D F Pugsley, R F Radford, C R Slade, Mrs M E Squires and R L Stanley.
The MOTION was declared to have been CARRIED.
Note: Councillors A Wilce and Mrs N Woollatt declared personal interests as supporters of The Campaign for Democracy.
2. Schedule of Meetings (Minute 107)
The Leader MOVED seconded by Councillor B A Moore:
THAT the recommendations of the Cabinet as set out in Minute 107 be ADOPTED.
Upon a vote being taking, the MOTION was declared to have been CARRIED.
To consider the schedule of meetings for the municipal year 2020/21 and make a recommendation to Council
The Cabinet had before it * a schedule of meetings for the municipal year 2020/21.
(Proposed by the Chairman)
Note: *Schedule previous circulated, copy attached to minutes
To consider the schedule of meetings for the municipal year 2020/21 and make recommendation to Council.
This item was deferred to allow for a clear recommendation to be made to the January meeting of Council.