To receive a report from the Corporate Manager for Public Health, Regulation and Housing providing members with the revised fees and charges for statutory and discretionary Private Sector Housing functions within the Community Team, Public Health and Regulatory Services. To review the updated Civil Penalties Policy which relates to the revised fees and charges.
The Group had before it a report * from the Corporate Manager for Public Health, Regulation and Housing providing the Members with the revised fees and charges for statutory and discretionary Private Sector Housing functions within the Community Team, Public Health and Regulatory Services.
Discussion took place regarding:
· How effective enforcement was within this area? It was explained that there was a proactive enforcement approach within the team, with officers being trained in enforcing criminal legislation and documenting evidence. All available powers were used and cases referred to the court where necessary.
· There was a proactive programme in place to ensure property checks for Houses of Multiple Occupation.
RECOMMENDED to the Cabinet that:
1. The revised fees as set out in Annex 1 be approved.
2. The updated Policy on the Use of Financial Penalties for Housing Act Offences as set out in Annex 2 be approved.
3. The Corporate Manager for Public Health and Regulation and Housing be given delegated authority to authorise relevant officers to enforce The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020.
4. That changes to the way Works in Default charges are constructed are agreed.
(Proposed by the Chairman)
Reason for the decision
Recharging for officer time in relation to enforcement activities, Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licensing and recovering costs associated with non-statutory services means that we are encouraging compliance within the private rented sector, providing suitable for homes for our residents and ensuring HMOs do not have an adverse impact on communities.
Note: * Report previously circulated; copy attached to the signed minutes.