To receive a report from the Director for Growth informing Members of the updated service plan for 2017-18.
The Group had before it, and NOTED, a report * from the Director for Growth and Chief Executive informing Members of the updated service plan for 2017-18
Consideration was given to the following:
· The development of an Economic Strategy would be an important priority for this Group and would require full Member involvement. This would be discussed at the forthcoming informal meeting.
· Master planning exercises in each of the three major towns would be an important objective going forwards.
· It was confirmed that there was enough land allocated within Mid Devon for business growth but some of it may not be suitable for requirements.
· A Heritage bid for Cullompton would need to be submitted again later this year which might help to address the concerns regarding the number of empty shops. Vacant shop grants were also available. The situation could also be helped by a relief road which would improve air quality and the current planning aspirations for future development of the garden village.
· Plans for a railway station in Cullompton were progressing well with local MP’s, councils and the rail industry having had a recent successful meeting.
· The recent Electric Nights events had done a lot to raise the profile of the market. The events did not raise any money for the Council but were perceived to have important additional value and benefits. The events brought a different demographic to the town and this needed to be maintained.
Note: * Report previously circulated; copy attached to the signed minutes.