Covid-19 and meetings
The Council will be holding some meetings in the next few weeks, but these will not be in person at Phoenix House until the Covid-19 crisis eases. Instead, the meetings will be held remotely via Zoom and you will be able to join these meetings via the internet. Please see the instructions on each agenda and read the Protocol on Remote Meetings before you join.
If you want to ask a question or speak, email your full name to Committee@middevon.gov.uk by no later than 4pm on the day before the meeting. This will ensure that your name is on the list to speak and will help us ensure that you are not missed – as you can imagine, it is easier to see and manage public speaking when everyone is physically present in the same room. Notification in this way will ensure the meeting runs as smoothly as possible.
The purpose of the Scrutiny Committee
The main purpose is to ensure that the Council's priorities are delivered and performance is well managed so that the residents of Mid Devon benefit from improved services and are involved in the process.
The role of the Scrutiny Committee is to:
· Hold the Cabinet (the Council's policy and decision-making group) to account by:
· Examining decisions that have been, or are about to be made
· Evaluating performance and progress
· Ensuring that consultation, where necessary, has been carried out
· Highlighting areas for improvement
· Investigating decisions that have been made but not yet implemented (a procedure known as 'Call-in').
Ensure services are effective and responsive to the needs of our residents by:
· Reviewing services
· Ensuring the public are consulted where change is being proposed
· Ensuring that services delivered represent value for money
Encourage public involvement by:
· Considering issues that are of interest to the local community
· Providing accessible information on the scrutiny process and activities.
Members of the public are invited to report areas of concern to the Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee as possible future agenda items by completing the process that can be found here:
Click for more information on East and Mid Devon Crime and Disorder Scrutiny Panel
Support officer: Carole Oliphant. Member Services Officer
Phone: 01884 234209