Following consideration of the *draft Housing Strategy by the Homes Policy Development Group and the Scrutiny Committee, the following recommendations have been made:
The Homes Policy Development Group at its meeting on 20th July 2021: had recommended to the Cabinet that the draft Housing Strategy 2021 – 2025, attached at annex 1, be approved for external and public consultation.
The Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 16 August 2021 had recommended that the strategy be approved for consultation subject to:
· Net Zero Carbon terminology be consistent throughout the strategy
· The Project Board to only reference job titles and not named individuals
The Cabinet Member for Housing and Property Services outlined the contents of the report stating that the draft strategy has been well received by both the Homes Policy Development Group and the Scrutiny Committee and that now the comprehensive document was before the Cabinet for approval to go out to consultation.
Consideration was given to:
· How well the draft strategy had been received
· Whether the draft strategy was ambitious enough, the housing crisis was about affordability, did the strategy address social housing and council housing and whether the priorities of the Cabinet were correct.
· Whether the 2 week consultation period was sufficient – it was explained that the consultation period would be for the whole of September and that the draft strategy set out what was deliverable, there were possibilities beyond this and that these would be worked on
a) The draft Housing Strategy 2021-25 as attached to Annex 1 of the report be approved for external and public consultation;
b) The proposed timeline and stages for adoption of the Housing Strategy be NOTED
(Proposed by Cllr R B Evans and seconded by Cllr C R Slade)
Reason for the decision – there is a need for public consultation prior to the adoption of the strategy.
Note: * draft Housing Strategy previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.