The Cabinet had before it a * report of the Head of Planning, Regeneration and Economy requesting the Cabinet to consider delegating decision making responsibility with regard to the Cullompton High Street Heritage Action Zone Grants Scheme to the Head of Planning, Economy & Regeneration.
The Cabinet Member for Planning and Economic Regeneration outlined the contents of the report stating that Historic England had awarded a High Street Heritage Action Zone to Cullompton, following a successful bid by this Council. The administration of the HAZ programme of works rested with this Council through to March 2024 and included:
· Public realm improvements around the Higher Bullring (with Devon County Council);
· A grants scheme for building repairs and historic reinstatement work;
· A cultural programme of activities in the town centre to align with the town’s heritage; and
· A comprehensive update to the Cullompton Conservation Area and Management Plan (CAMP), as well as a new Mid Devon District Council Shopfront Design Guide;
· A package of community engagement activities.
The grants scheme would see property owners and repairing leaseholders invited to apply for building grants to support structural, historic reinstatement and shopfront improvement work in the town centre. Guidance to support the grants scheme was available and help would be provided by the Project and Conservation officers.
He outlined the mechanism for approving grant funding and the involvement of the Cullompton Town Centre Regeneration Partnership Group.
It was noted that the Cullompton Town Centre Regeneration Partnership Group were in agreement with the proposals for granting funding.
RESOLVED that: delegated authority be given to make decisions over the award of grants under the Cullompton High Street Heritage Action Zone to the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Planning and Economic Regeneration.
(Proposed by Cllr R J Chesterton and seconded by Cllr Mrs N Woollatt)
Reason for the decision – to allow for funding decisions to be made in consultation with the Cullompton Town Centre Regeneration Partnership Group
Note: *Report previously circulated and attached to the minutes