The Cabinet had before it a *report of the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration setting out for consideration the draft consultation document for Stage 1 public consultation in respect of the Tiverton Town Centre Regeneration Masterplan.
Jessica Richmond, the consultant from WYG outlined the contents of the report explaining that the masterplan was a key regeneration project that the Council had commissioned to enhance the economic prospects of the town and to provide a clear strategy to make sure that Tiverton built on its existing qualities and assets to meet its full potential as a thriving market town. She outlined the consultation stages which would allow for comment to be received to produce a clear vision for the town.
She explained the number of key assets within the town, the vision for the town to allow for ease of movement throughout the town, a vibrant market, inviting gateways, an active waterfront, larger retail footprints, a residential component and public greenspaces. The town required accessibility, an identity, a clean environment and quality shopping and recreational facilities.
She outlined the key projects identified within the masterplan throughout the town and the potential interventions which included the market, West Exe and the riverside, the western and southern gateways to the town and provided visualisations for the areas outlined. She further explained the phasing and delivery of the priorities that were also proposed to form part of the consultation material.
Consideration was given to:
· The expectations within the masterplan and the investment required
· The method of delivery with possible cross funding from development of facilities
· The action plan and implementation programme
· Programmes for the other main towns in Mid Devon
· Whether parking spaces would be reduced in the market area
· Whether the problems within the market would be addressed with regard to modernisation and a possible roof over the trading area
· The first stage of the consultation process to reflect on the consultants work and the ability for additional views to be submitted
· The importance of knitting the Destination Management Strategy and the Residents Survey into the project.
a) Stage 1 public consultation commences in order to scope out the contents of the masterplan.
b) The draft masterplan material, together with emerging work on the Pannier Market and its surroundings, be approved for stage 1 public consultation.
c) Delegated authority be given to the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Planning and Economic Regeneration to finalise consultation material.
(Proposed by Cllr R J Chesterton and seconded by Cllr C R Slade)
i) Cllr C J Eginton declared a personal interest as he owned a business in the town;
ii) Cllr C R Slade declared a personal interest as a Member of Tiverton Town Council;
iii) *Report previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.