Arising from a report of the Group Manager for Housing, the Homes Policy Development Group had recommended that the revised Homelessness Strategy be approved.
The Cabinet Member for Housing and Property Services outlined the contents of the report stating that the existing strategy originally covered the period from 2013 to 2018 and that a Cabinet Member decision had extended the policy until now. He highlighted the objectives within the strategy:
· Minimising rough sleeping
· Maximising prevention activities and outcomes
· Increasing accommodation options
· Improving health and wellbeing by supporting those with complex needs
Consideration was given to:
· The number of applicants presenting as homeless had increased by 25% rising from 455 in 2017/18 to 602 in 2018/19.
· The triggers of homelessness in Mid Devon
· The increase in numbers of approaches from those being evicted by social landlords
· The reports and data received by the Homes Policy Development Group
· The number of rough sleepers
· The use of S106 monies (for affordable housing) to offset the shortfall in accommodation.
RESOLVED that the recommendation of the Policy Development Group be approved.
(Proposed by the Chairman)
Note: *Report previously circulated, copy attached to minutes.