Venue: Phoenix Chamber, Phoenix House, Tiverton
Contact: Sally Gabriel Member Services Manager
APOLOGIES AND SUBSTITUTE MEMBERS
To receive any apologies for absence and notices of appointment of substitute.
Apologies were received from Cllr B G J Warren.
Apologies were also received from Cllr Mrs C P Daw, who was substituted by Cllr B A Moore and E G Luxton, who was substituted by Cllr R J Dolley.
PUBLIC QUESTION TIME
To receive any questions relating to items on the Agenda from members of the public and replies thereto.
Note: A maximum of 30 minutes is allowed for this item.
Mrs Stannard referring to item 1 on the Plans List (Land adjoining Ruffwell Inn, Thorverton) on the agenda stated that the parish councils of Silverton, Rewe and Thorverton had opposed the application as they had concerns that the issues they had raised had not been addressed. There had been 19 letters of objection with major concerns covering traffic issues, sewage arrangements and incompatibility of the caravan site with the rural area. There were 4-5 caravans on site without permission and the application was for the siting of 3 permanent caravans, 5 touring caravans and 2 tent pitches. There was a condition in the report with regard the owner keeping a register of names and addresses of those visiting the site and that this information should be made available to the Local Planning Authority. She made mention of a proposal for 3 permanent pitches with a 6 month lease, this had been removed, this raised the question with regard to the length of time people were staying in the caravans and who would enforce this, would it be the planning officer?
The Chairman indicated that answers to the questions would be provided when the item was debated.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS UNDER THE CODE OF CONDUCT (00-06-58)
Councillors are reminded of the requirement to declare any interest, including the type of interest, and reason for that interest at each item.
Members were reminded of the need to declare any interests when appropriate.
Members to consider whether to approve the minutes as a correct record of the meeting held on 5th June 2019.
The minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2019 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS (00-08-01)
To receive any announcements the Chairman may wish to make.
The Chairman had the following announcements to make:
· She informed the meeting that in respect of outline planning application 18/00504/MOUT relating to land north of Town Farm, Burlescombe, this had been refused under delegated powers on the 28th June 2019. Members may recall that this outline application was originally submitted for 10 dwellings in 2018 and when Members discussed the Major Applications list at Planning Committee decided to call in the application. Since the time of the initial submission, the applicant had revised the residential scheme, first down to 6 dwellings then down to 3 dwellings and finally down to 2 dwellings.
The application was therefore no longer a major planning application and back in November 2018, the Ward Member at the time (Councillor Bainbridge) confirmed that she would only wish to call in the application if officers were minded to approve. It was considered that this planning application should be refused given the objections received from the Local Highway Authority. Both Ward Members had confirmed that they were happy for this application to be refused under delegated powers on this basis.
· She reminded the committee that the next meeting would be on Wednesday 31 July.
DEFERRALS FROM THE PLANS LIST
To report any items appearing in the Plans List which have been deferred.
There were no deferrals from the Plans List.
To consider the planning applications contained in the list.
(a) No 1 on the Plans List (18/01840/FULL – change of use of land for the siting of permanent and touring pitches for tents and caravans – land adjoining Ruffwell Inn, Thorverton).
The Area Team Leader outlined the contents of the report by way of presentation highlighting the location of the site, the nearest neighbours and the farm shop, the proposed site plan which depicted the permanent pitches and those to be used for touring caravans, the elevations for the chemical disposal building and photographs from various aspects of the site.
She then addressed the question posed at public question time and provided the following answer: conditions would restrict the occupancy of all the pitches, if the applicant was to be found in breach of conditions, then planning enforcement powers would be used to seek compliance.
Consideration was given to:
· Policy DM24 – development for tourism
· Whether noise issues could be restricted by condition
· The number of days that a caravan could be occupied
· Landscaping issues
· Highways issues which included access to the site through the pub car park and possible difficulties accessing the campsite if the car park was full.
· The septic tank on the site (to be used for the 3 permanent pitches) and the chemical disposal unit (for touring vans)
· Whether there were any flooding issues in the area
· The caravans already on site
· The views of the applicant with regard to the successful public house business and the wish to expand facilities to include a camp site, the ideal location on the main road with good access and a central location for visitors who would also use the facilities of the public house and the location of the nearest neighbours
· The views of the Chairman of Silverton Parish Council with regard to the impact on the landscape, whether there was adequate screening in place, sewage facilities, the access on the busy junction, whether the caravans would be held on the road if the car park was full and that there were inadequate services on the site
· The views of the Ward Member (a written representation read by the Chairman) in which he voiced concerns raised by the Parish Council, whether this was a suitable application for the rural area, the distance between neighbouring properties, potential noise issues and that a poorly maintained site would have a negative impact on the local economy. He also highlighted the possible benefits to the area and that he had had discussions with the owner of the site
· The views of statutory consultees.
RESOLVED that: planning permission be granted subject to conditions as recommended by the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration.
(Proposed by Cllr R F Radford and seconded Cllr E J Berry)
i) Mr Cairns (applicant spoke);
ii) Cllr Melville representing Silverton Parish Council spoke;
iii) The Chairman read a written representation by the Ward Member (Cllr ... view the full minutes text for item 19.
List attached for consideration of major applications and potential site visits.
The Committee had before it, and NOTED, a list * of major applications with no decision.
It was AGREED that:
Application 19/00928/MFUL – Hitchcocks Business Park, Uffculme be brought before committee for determination and that a site visit take place.
Application 18/00518/MFUL – Halberton Court Farm, Halberton, this had previously been considered in 2018 and it was agreed that the application should come to committee for determination, however Members AGREED that the application should now only come before the Committee if the officer recommendation was one of approval.
Note: *List previously circulated; copy attached to the Minutes
To receive for information a list of recent appeal decisions.
The Committee had before it and NOTED a list of appeal decisions * providing information on the outcome of recent planning appeals.
Note: *List previously circulated; copy attached to Minutes.